Donor Eligibility Criteria
All of our sperm donors are recruited locally and from universities and colleges and are between the ages of 18 and 45. Most are undergraduate and graduate students, some are professionals. They voluntarlily contribute to help infertile patients to have healthy children. Our sperm donor requirements are very strict and only the best candidates are accepted to the program. Less than 10% of the applicants are eventually accepted as contributing sperm donors.
Potential sperm donors possessing pleasant and acceptable physical features undergo extensive screening. This includes, but is not limited to, character and personality evaluation, genetic testing, fertility assessment, physical examination and infectious disease testing. This is to try to prevent any potential infections and genetic conditions from being transmitted to either the recipient(s) or any children conceived. Once accepted into the sperm donor program, the health status of the applicant is continually re-assessed. Semen samples from screened sperm donors will be quarantined for a minimum of 180 days and released only after re-testing of the sperm donor for the required infectious disease screening. Donors are required to undergo rigorous medical assessment and blood testing.
Reprolabs will only accept sperm donors who
- Are between 18 and 45 years of age
- Have not previously donated sperm to another family
- Have no past or current history of significant mental health problems
- Have no significant medical conditions either himself or in his family that may be passed on to future children
- Have no infective conditions that may be passed onto the recipient of the donation.
- Becoming a sperm donor involves a medical interview, followed by counselling sessions, genetic counselling, blood tests and a Detailed semen analysis.